Wednesday, July 8, 2015

To walk or not to walk



It only took us a week and a half, but apparently walking for hours on end in the heat of the day is not a thing in Hong Kong. During dinner tonight I met a lovely young local girl who explained that you're not supposed to walk very far or long here, that's what buses and the MTR are for. I'll blame walking everywhere on my cardio obsessed mentality.

Tom decided we'd go to another dingy looking restaurant for dinner, and once again it was a top notch meal! This is becoming less and less of a surprise now. So this place was run by female staff, both waiters and cooks. And they were vibrant, colourful women at that. They loved it when we ordered 'Dong Lai Cha' and were able to communicate to us that certain items on the menu were not longer available due to stock-on-hand shortages. I think we were just happy that they remained open long enough for us to eat there. Anyway, back to the girl who was helping us order our food...she gave us a complete history of the restaurant, how it began in Macau and now has a couple of locations around Hong Kong. She also gave us a brief description of what Wednesday was going to be like, how the public holiday is not a happy day for the locals and how we should stay below ground or indoors where possible.

I keep thinking about how much of a difference there is between Central/Sheung Wan and Mongkok/Yau Ma Tei. Some days I'm really in the mood for cultural assimilation, and other days all I want is to sit in a hipster cafe and sip on cold drip coffee (which I still haven't found, but give it time, I know it exists here somewhere..!). I wish I spent more time reading Cantonese publications and watching the local news. I'll make sure I do that on my future travels to HK. I've already decided I'm coming back.

A small timeline of my eating habits in HK :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.