Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Spotlight On: Vinny

 Vinny is a bit younger than the rest of us, and we all immediately think of him as a little brother. At home, you'll find Vinny listening to mixtapes with a huge Bose headset and eating all the packets of crisps the world has to offer.

 The most important thing to know about Vinny is that he is a cat person. Majorly. I think Myra and I spent a lot of our photography time taking photos of cats to show to him. His reactions to anything cat related are priceless and worth the procrastination.

 Vinny confused the crap out of the locals. When on a group outing, the first person they'd try to talk to in Cantonese was him, and we'd all have a good laugh because, well, it's not his fault he looks so Chinese! The theme of being 'lost in translation' came up very often on this trip. The easy trap of saying one phrase in Cantonese, hoping that it would help locals understand us, only backfired because they would suddenly break out into lengthy conversation, to which we would all look around thinking 'now what?!'.

Some things I'll never forget, which Vinny taught me all about are photography and typeface. Avi also had a lot to say about these things. Except I could never completely understand over all the Canon vs Nikon arguments. But thanks to these two I now have a greater understanding of why Comic Sans is a death wish for any designer and why instant/lomography is a good place to start experimenting and leads to quicker learning.

If you want to see every single expensive car found in Sheung Wan, as well as a selection of humorous idols from Wah Fu Estate, by all means you should follow Vincent on Instagram. You won't be disappointed with his documentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.