Saturday, June 27, 2015

Friyay?

Day 5 of our global studio was ablaze with sunbeams. We woke from a deep sleep (many thanks to a Bloody Mary or two), dazed and confused because we knew we'd be late for class. Finally arriving at our destination, I looked around and felt content - this Yum Cha house looked a neat 8/10, which is 5 points higher than my personal rating of the Yum Cha house we went to on Wednesday. Sorry 'bout it.

We lost two of our troops somewhere between breakfast and beginning our research. But I was excited to be working with my two lady friends Tania and Myra! Sometimes women do things better together and this was one of those times. With our femme fatale creativity in tow, we scoured the streets looking for traditional crafts and trades. Surprisingly this was quite difficult, it seemed things have changed and the markets are no longer a place to find handmade artistry. Alas, we found a small stall that stocked some rather intricate looking decor, and away we went! Snapping this, sketching that, we began to dissect the stall until there was nothing left to learn. Being growing girls and all, we decided now was a good time to make a pit stop at a bakery and load up on some well deserved carbs. We also took this rare opportunity to begin our PDF, and whadya know, we had the damn thing done in an hour! Take note, this is how women get shit done.

At about 3pm Myra and I met up with the remaining counterparts of our 'Honkey' group. Us Honkeys have been cooking up a series of maps, diagrams and photographs to depict and dissect Canton Street, a mecca of market stalls which serves the local community in MongKok. I won't go into minor details but by about 4pm we were done with group tasks and were willing to indulge in some 'down time' which consisted of a food court lunch, followed closley by a starbucks treat and about half an hour of what I like to call 'Speed Spending'. To give you an idea, today's Speed Spending session resulted in a highly sought after Nars 'Audacious' lipstick, a Monki dress (which I just had to have because of the super kawaii print!) and a packet of extra large hair clips (I believe the point-of-sale product placement technique is still very much a thing).

I foresee another 3 hours of reflecting and uploading photos to Flickr. Go me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.